Career Level Staff
Email [email protected] Fire.co.uk
Location: At our site in Pampisford, Cambridgeshire, CB22 3HG.
Reports to: Head of Testing
Cambridge Acoustic Laboratory is a fresh start-up subsidiary of Cambridge Fire Research and is currently seeking to recruit an Acoustic Testing Technician to work in its brand new laboratory measuring the sound insulation of building elements. This is a great opportunity to play a key role in an existing new venture and develop your career in this varied role.
• Liaise with clients to organise tests and issue contract paperwork.
• Conduct acoustic tests on building elements to ISO 10140-2, undertake specimen
verification surveys and compile written reports.
• Reconfigure test openings and assist clients with specimen installation and sealing.
• Develop operational procedures and quality system documentation aimed at
achieving UKAS accreditation to ISO 17025 and maintain this going forward.
• Ensure the upkeep of the laboratory and test equipment, including calibration and
consumable materials stock levels.
• Be prepared to undertake programmes of training relevant to laboratory operations
and keep abreast of changes to test standards and other associated matters.
• Additional tasks as required.
• Higher education qualification, preferably in an acoustic subject; otherwise in a
scientific/engineering discipline or commensurate experience.
• Technically minded with an interest in understanding how things are put
together/work, with practical problem-solving skills.
• Previous experience or knowledge of acoustics and working to testing standards
would be advantageous but not essential.
• Sound hands-on practical ability, with a working understanding of construction
materials and their uses would be beneficial.
• Proficient written/IT skills, including Word and Excel, and sound verbal
communication ability is essential in order to build a good working relationship with
clients and colleagues.
• Understanding of 2D technical drawings and knowledge of AutoCAD.
• Organised, methodical and versatile with excellent attention to detail.
• Willing and enthusiastic to learn quickly.
• Enjoys team working but can operate independently.