Career Level Staff
Experience 3 Years
Industry Research/ Development
Qualifications Master's Degree
Email [email protected]
About the company
4D pharma Cork Ltd is a campus company in Cork whose aim is to investigate how variations in the composition of bacterial communities in the gut can be used for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Recent advances in the field have highlighted the importance of the gut microbiome, not only for the development of safe and efficacious new therapeutics, but also for the discovery of novel personalised diagnostic tools. 4D pharma Cork Ltd is a subsidiary of 4D pharma plc (http://www.4dpharmaplc.com/), a UK pharmaceutical company developing Live Biotherapeutics, a novel and emerging class of drugs. 4D pharma Cork is developing a diagnostic platform, MicroDx, across multiple disease areas, mirroring 4D’s proprietary MicroRx platform for the discovery of live biotherapeutics.
Description of the role:
This is a full-time position which will involve comparative genomics and next generation sequencing analysis. The successful candidate will be based at the 4D pharma Cork site but will conduct genome assembly, comparison and analysis for the discovery pipeline in the 4D Research site in Aberdeen. Microbiome data analysis may also be required. S/he will have at least 1 years’ experience in bioinformatics and genomics. S/he must be capable of working independently as well as part of a team to develop and apply computational solutions to biological questions.
Experience, qualifications & skills required:
- An MSc in Bioinformatics or a BSc. in Bioinformatics/Genetics/Microbiology or similar with at least 1 years’ relevant experience in bioinformatics analysis.
- Experience working with microbial genome and microbiome datasets is highly desirable.
- Experience with the analysis of high-throughput datasets and integrative analysis of diverse datasets from different platforms.
- Evidence of a track record of independent critical thinking and scientific achievement.
- Experience with two or more computational/statistical languages such as but not limited to R/bioconductor, Perl, python, and Bash shell-scripting experience (Unix).
- The candidate should be knowledgeable, highly motivated, creative, and collaborative.
- Knowledge/experience of quality management systems is advantageous but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Commensurate with experience.