Career Level Staff
Experience 3 Years
Industry Information Technology
Qualifications Bachelor's Degree
Email [email protected]
The role of software developer is primarily focused on developing technical solutions to meet our clients’ needs. To do so, it is essential you understand the underlying business problem the software you are creating is attempting to solve.
- Work with colleagues to conduct research, analyse documentation and review requirements to understand the clients’ business problems
- Work with team members to propose technical solutions
- Produce estimates to deliver technical solutions
- Implement technical solutions
- Write automated tests
- Produce user and technical documentation
- Work with clients in meetings and calls to understand their problems and discuss solutions
- Be proactive at improving our internal processes and systems
Who we are looking for
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic people from all backgrounds who are looking for the opportunity to make a difference from day one. The right person has genuine interest in writing code, enjoys working within a motivated team and has a good foundation in at least one of Java, Scala or C#. We care about writing good quality code that solves our clients’ problems, and we want people who care about the same thing.
What we do
We work for clients with a large amount of interesting and valuable text. The majority of the work we do is for publishers, but we work on a wide variety of projects within that focus. For example, recent projects include:
- A research project for a standards organization – using machine learning and natural language processing libraries to automatically identify which parts of a standard are requirements like “you must do this”, rather than background information. This means that those requirements can then be fed into other systems – for example, to produce a checklist of actions needed to comply with a standard.
- The primary digital delivery platform for a large publisher, delivering online research articles and books to hundreds of thousands of researchers, via a fleet of autoscaling servers and other components like lambdas in the AWS cloud. We designed and deployed the infrastructure via Terraform, wrote the database and application code, and developed a Vue-based frontend. This lets researchers search for and read the latest research in their domains.
- An editorial system for a pharmaceutical publisher, helping a small group of expert editors enter structured semantic information about drugs and their interactions. This allows this drug information to be used by clinicians, and also allows it to be fed into healthcare systems.
- An enrichment and search application for a chemistry publisher that identifies chemicals and their synonyms, uses machine learning to recognize the subjects of articles, and then uses Elasticsearch so these articles can be searched by end users.
Everything we do is about solving real client problems, and that’s our focus. All the projects we create make a difference to someone.
Working at 67 Bricks
We are a vibrant, growing company focused on developing high quality data-driven information products for publishers. We achieve this through close collaboration with our clients to build a deep understanding of their needs and aim to take an iterative approach to ensure we deliver fantastic software.
Since creative and self-motivated employees are essential to our success we are committed to providing the learning opportunities and support necessary for all our staff to contribute and grow. You will have exposure to a wide range of technologies, and opportunities for growth into areas such as software architecture, research and development, and client relationship and team management. As well as learning new technologies on projects, we also spend every Friday afternoon as a team discussing interesting development topics we’ve come across, sharing lessons from projects, and other topics that interest us.
Our employee benefits include:
- Support for personal learning and development
- Opportunity for flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Competitive salary
- 26 days holiday