Career Level Staff
Experience 2 Years
Industry Information Technology
Qualifications Bachelor's Degree
About the Job
Day-to-day, you will be working in a highly collaborative manner with everyone in the organisation, particularly our other technology team members and product owners. We manage work through a prioritised backlog of tasks – we try and minimise chaos so there’s always a good purpose for you doing what you’re doing.
There’s a sane, paid out-of-hours on-call rota (for emergencies only). This job does not involve IT desktop support; we already have people who are great at that.
- You believe systems and infrastructure development involves a lot more than just computers, configs and code. You see it as your remit to understand our domain so we can deliver as much value to the business as possible.
- You believe in continuous improvement, using metrics to provide feedback and guide future development. To you, measurable quality really matters.
- You have a practical understanding of what is required to run a microservice style architecture, in a fault tolerant and performant manner to meet our service level objectives.
- Capacity planning and cost management.
- Problem solving platform issues.
- Maintaining and monitoring our platform SLAs.
- Being a member of the out of hours support rota.
- Provide operations input into architectural decisions.
- Work closely with developers to achieve company goals.
- Working with third party suppliers and partners.
- Automation of infrastructure and systems using tools like Chef, Terraform and CloudFormation.
- For new development we take a ‘cloud first’ approach but we also manage existing environments within our data centres.
Technology You’ll Get To Use
- Linux, Windows Server
- Python, Bash, Ruby (Chef)
- Chef, TeamCity, Git
- AWS and GCP
- Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, Kubernetes, App Engine
- DataDog, Sumo Logic, Zabbix
- Networking: VPCs, VLANs, Cisco, Juniper, VPNs
- NGINX, HAProxy, VMWare
- We have data stored in Postgres, SQL Server and Google Cloud Storage.
- CDN (Fastly), Varnish, Redis, Kafka
We don’t require you to have expertise in all these areas but any exposure would be a bonus.
- 25 days holiday (increasing by one day each January, up to a maximum of 30 days)
- Bonus birthday day off
- Pension Scheme – matched contributions up to 3%
- Healthshield cash back scheme
- Travel season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Up to 3 days paid each year to do volunteer/charity work
- Regular knowledge sharing talks and socials