Career Level Staff
Experience 5 Years +
Industry Research/ Development
Qualifications Bachelor's Degree
The Bioconjugation Group in Abzena Cambridge (UK) provides conjugation solutions to support partner antibody drug conjugate (ADC), PEGylation and other conjugate development programs. Using established conjugation chemistries and its proprietary conjugation platform ThioBridge® with access to a wide range of cargo’s, the Bioconjugation Group designs, synthesises and produces ADC candidates that are evaluated with support from the Design and Developability Groups for lead candidate selection.
Our team of highly skilled and passionate bioconjugation chemists has access to state-of-the-art laboratories on the Babraham Research Campus in Cambridge, equipped with the latest high containment capabilities and a range of automated LC systems to develop appropriate purification approaches for the production of ADCs and bioconjugates. The Bioconjugation Group works closely with the Analytical Group with access to instrumentation such as UPLC chromatography, microfluidics capillary electrophoresis and high resolution Q-TOF, high sensitivity TOF and Orbitrap mass spectrometers, as well as light scattering instrumentation to support analytical characterisation of bioconjugates.
An exciting opportunity has opened up to join the group at Scientist or Senior Scientist level for a bioconjugation/protein chemist who will help us deliver for high-paced client projects. The ideal candidate will have a background in protein biochemistry or chemistry with strong laboratory skills and previous industrial experience.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Technical / Professional
- Perform routine laboratory bioconjugation experiments to support client-based projects;
- Perform the synthesis and conjugation of small molecules (e.g. cytotoxic drugs, fluorescent labels) and polymers to antibodies and proteins using a range of linker chemistries;
- Carry out purification of antibody and protein conjugates by column chromatography (e.g. HIC, SEC, IEX) using automated systems (AKTA) and membrane ultrafiltration (TFF);
- Characterise antibody and protein conjugates using analytical chromatography techniques (HIC, SEC, IEX), UV-Vis spectrophotometry, microfluidics (CE-SDS, iCEF) and LC-MS;
- Contribute to antibody and protein conjugates developability assessment through assisting ex vivo serum stability and formulation development studies;
- Take part in laboratory housekeeping and contribute to maintenance of laboratory equipment;
- Carry out tasks accurately following protocols (SOPs or WI) and in compliance with Health and Safety procedures;
- Perform routine interpretation of analytical results;
- Keep accurate records and document experimental results in electronic laboratory notebooks;
- Prepare presentations and present results at internal meetings and client meetings;
- Contribute to writing of client reports.
Personal / Team
- Manage their own work and tasks independently;
- Keep line manager and Group Leader informed of work progress in a timely fashion;
- Proactively support other laboratory scientists.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemistry / Protein Biochemistry or related science discipline
- At least 2 years experience in an industrial environment, or PhD in a relevant discipline
- Knowledge or experience of synthetic organic chemistry, and protein chemistry
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent technical skills
- Ability to plan own work in order to meet the project objectives in a timely fashion
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative
- Ability to identify and analyse routine problems and issues